Sunday, February 05, 2006

i'm farsighted

...so I can read and knit at the same time, as long as the pattern is fairly simple and the yarn is fairly thick. I put the book on the floor and hold it open with my feet--I can even turn pages with my toes--and put my knees on my elbows and knit, and the text is the exactly right distance from my face. (If I read at a table, for example, I usually end up either squinting, wearing my reading glasses which actually don't help much, or tilting my head back and looking down my nose like my dad looking through his bifocals, except without, um, wearing bifocals, so it looks kind of weird, especially since I tend to make this weird old-person grimace at the same time.) Of course, sock yarn being so thin, I can't read while I work on my second jaywalker (yet--give me time, I will prevail!). If I could, I'd be reading Spinsters Abroad: Victorian Lady Explorers by Dea Birkett, who, according to her book-jacket bio, once got a Winston Churchill travel grant to join an Italian circus. I want to join an Italian circus. Almost as much as I want to knit a jaywalker on the back of an elephant circa 1892. This book is making me seriously restless. I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

Ramona said...

I want to learn how to knit and read

Beverly said...

Me, too. Right now it's Audible all the way. Imagine what I could get done if I could read Discourse Analysis texts and knit! Woohoo